Sunday, August 23, 2009

Paharkai theeyal (bitter gourd Masala)

I love bitter gourd in 2 forms: theeyal or fry. Back home in my mothers place non veg is a must daily for me and my father.My mom used to make fish curry weekly 6 days and Sunday she used to make chicken,this is coz we don't get fish in our near by market on Sundays.


I think the only day we used to have veg food is on GOOD FRIDAY and Ash Wednesday.But that day too we have eggs. Usually on Good Friday our lunch used to be sambar, bitter gourd fry and boiled eggs. To be frank i learnt the name of many vegetables only during my college days since i stayed in the hostel. My mom used to make this dish at home frequently.The bitterness of the bitter gourd will be reduced as it is cooked in tamarind water


Ingredients:


Bitter Gourd - 2 or 3 (cut into small pieces)


Onions - 1 medium (chopped)

mustard seeds -1 tsp

Curry leaves - 1 sprig

Chilli powder - 1 tsp

Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp

Tamarind juice - 1 1/2 cup (extract the juice by soaking large lemon size tamarind in water)

1.Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. When they splutter add the curry leaves.


2.Add the bitter gourd pieces along with the onions.

3.Saute them in a medium flame until the bitter gourd is 3/4 cooked.

Then add salt and saute for 5 min.


6.Add turmeric powder and chili powder and mix well

7.Add the tamarind juice and and allow it to cook till it becomes little dry.The bitter gourd should be well cooked and it shouldnt be too dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog.Please leave ur valuable comments which inspires and means a lot to me.