Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sambar




When i got married, i dint know anything about cooking. I still remember the day i came to US. My flight was scheduled to come in the evening and it got delayed and i reached the next day morning. Though i was tired from the travel i was determined to cook and impress my hubby.That was the first day i was going to cook for him

I had taken down all my favourite recipes from my mom in a diary and had brought it along with me.




I opened the fridge and saw it was stocked with veggies and the pantry was also full. Though Raja had access to the new apartment only the previous day ,yet he had taken the effort to set up everything.

I decided to prepare sambar coz i thought that was the easy curry to prepare. I referred to the diary and finally after great struggle i prepared rice and sambar. The sambar was so watery without salt and the rice was over cooked. But we managed to eat it.


That was the first dish i ever prepared for my hubby and my first too.


Ingredients:



Toor dal - 1 cup


Drumstick - 10 pieces (u can add any veggies like brinjal, Cucumber,Radish, Winter Melon etc)


Beans - 4 or 5


Potato - 1 small


Onion - 1 large


Tomato -1 medium


green chilli - 2


Garlic - 4 cloves

Curry Leaves - 1 sprig

1.Add all the ingredients to the pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water and cook it for 2 whistles.



Spices:
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 4 or 5
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig

Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder -2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1tsp

Sambar Powder - 1 tsp
Tamarind - 1 lemon size ( Soak it in 1/2 cup water and extract the juice)



2.Heat oil in a kadai and when its hot add mustard seeds, When they splutter switch off the stove and add curry leaves and 4 to 5 fenugreek seeds at once add all the masala and mix. The masala shouldn't burn.
3.Then add the masala to the cooked veggies and add tamarind water and add 1/2 to 1 cup water and allow it to boil for 10 min.
4.Adjust the salt and add coriander leaves and switch off the stove.

1 comment:

  1. hi priya
    I tried ur sambar recipe and its taste is good.I'm waiting for more new recipes from u.And its very interesting to read ur 'malarum niniavugal'. Continue to write those too..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog.Please leave ur valuable comments which inspires and means a lot to me.